Year 3 2020 - 2021
Welcome to the Year 3 web page!
Please take a look at the Christmas Shop Tab on our class page on the right hand side! Most exciting news!
Year 3 - September 2020
I hope you are all safe and well and enjoying the last few days of the Summer Break.
Well I hope that everyone is feeling excited to start a new school year next week and I'm sure you are no doubt wondering what new and interesting things you will learning together in Year 3!
Here is a brief summary of what this new Autumn Term will bring:
English: 'The Iron Man' by Ted Hughes and illustrated by Chris Mould
Maths: Place Value, addition and Subtraction, alongside key skills ~ multiplication 2s, 5s and 10s.
I am writing to you all today, to help guide your children’s pathway as they make their way over the road to the Juniors, come next term. As you will no doubt expect, there will be slight changes from life in the Infants as the children begin to learn a little more of a grown up approach to their time in school and so I will pass on some of the of these details to you now, to help you prepare over the Summer.
The Government and Public Health England have confirmed it is safe for schools to open and all children will be expected to return to school in September. This is great news and I am really looking forward to welcoming the children back on Monday September 7th so that their education can continue.
Staff have been busy supporting some key worker children over the past few months, as well as having three year groups back in school for a number of weeks. We are preparing school for your child’s return and we want to give you assurance of the safety measures in place for your child when they come back in September:
As well as the whole school risk assessment, these are points specific to our class:
- Pupils must not come into school if they have coronavirus symptoms or if they live with anyone with symptoms or who has tested positive.
- Arrival and collection times will be staggered for different year groups. Year 3’s start time will be 9:05am and collection will be 3:40pm.
- For the first two weeks of term, to aid the children’s transition to the Juniors, one parent/carer may accompany their child onto the playground and gather, socially distanced and I will come down to the playground to greet the children at 9:05am and escort them to class. We will enter the school through the hall doors and make our way up the stairs from there. One parent/carer may collect their child from the playground at this time stated and again, will be asked to leave promptly.
- Following the initial two week period, the children will then be brought to the main gate by their parent or carer and then left to walk onto the playground themselves to be collected by me. We respectfully ask that adults should then leave promptly please.
- Our class will be in bubble 2, with Year 5. During teaching time your child will be taught with their own class, but their bubble will share toilets, cloakrooms and play/lunchtimes.
- Children will sit side by side and facing forwards in the classroom; they will not be socially distanced from each other. DfE guidelines state that the risk to children from Coronavirus is low. Adults are still required to be socially distanced from each other and the children.
- Children should wear their full school uniform as normal.
- Each week, Class 3 will take part in their usual PE lessons and the days for this will be the same each week – Tuesday and Fridays. For the first half term, all children must come to school on those days, wearing their PE kit and they will remain in these throughout the day. If the weather is a little less kind on those days, we recommend your child wears dark coloured jogging bottoms rather than their shorts and has a sweat top with them for warmth should they need it. We do ask, however, that all children have their own trainers on for these sessions as there will be no opportunity to borrow from another child.
- Children will have break times with their bubble. They can still bring a healthy snack (no crisps/chocolate) into school for break time.
- School lunches will also be a little different for the first half term (September through to October break) where each child will be given the opportunity to have a hot school lunch three times per week. We plan to be able to provide hot school lunches for Year 3 on a Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and each Monday and Wednesday, a packed school lunch will be available to order from the kitchen. Alternatively, your child is welcome to bring a packed lunch from home as usual.
- Children can bring a bag and coat into school (PE bag not required as already stated). The child’s bag will need to be a drawstring style bag please as it will be hung on the back of their chair during the day and only coats will be hung in their cloakroom. They will need their sandwich box if having a dinner from home.
- We are asking all children to provide their own pencil case within which they will keep the majority of resources they need for their every-day sessions. This will allow them to consistently have access to their own items, kept purely for their own personal use. When taking creative activities involving art materials such as paints, collage materials etc. into account, we will of course continue to offer a selection of supplies to make their work as fulfilling and imaginative as possible.
- Please could I request that ideally, the contents of their pencil cases for Year 3, should be as follows:
- Two HB Pencils
- A small 15cm ruler
- A selection of colouring pencils
- A rubber
- A pencil sharpener
- A small selection of other personal choices – (optional NOT necessary)
- In the interest of promoting safe hygiene standards, I would also request that your child please bring a small bottle of hand sanitiser and their own tissues with them each day too (perhaps to be left in trays where possible). Children will not be able to share any of their items with anyone else.
- Before and after school clubs will still take place and will operate in Infant and Junior bubbles.
- Contact with teachers will still be undertaken remotely in September. I will still be available to answer emails and phone calls during times I am not teaching. Adults will require a pre-arranged appointment to come into school. Our usual September meetings will not be able to take place this year. We will publish our Start of Year packs and curriculum overviews on our class pages by August 31st.
- The DfE has stated that face coverings are not required during the school day for children. Their misuse may inadvertently increase the risk of transmission. If a child wears a mask on the way to school, this will need to be removed before entering the school premises and put in their school bag, preferably in a plastic bag.
- Children will regularly wash their hands and use sanitisers. School will promote personal hygiene – ‘Catch it, Kill it, Bin it.’
- A full risk assessment around health and safety, cleaning, Track and Trace etc. will be emailed out to all families next week.
We are aware that some children may be feeling anxious about returning to school if they have not been in school for some time. We want to give you assurance that we have robust plans in place and will be focused on supporting all the children back into school with key activities that will help the children to settle in and enjoy being back in school with their friends.
I really do appreciate that there are quite a view points to cover here and many of them are to keep your child and our staff here safe and well and so please do work with us to help keep our school a wonderful place for children to learn and achieve alongside maintaining their health and well-being at all times.
If you have any further worries or questions, please contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
I hope you have a relaxing, happy and healthy summer. We look forward to seeing you and your child in September.
Files to Download
Year 3: News items
Newsletter 5.3.2021, by Mrs Schurer-Lewis
Re-opening of schools to all pupils 8th March 2021, by Mrs Schurer-Lewis
Newsletter 26.2.2021, by Mrs Schurer-Lewis
Year 3: Display work items
Home Learning Roman Shield Designs Class 3, by Mrs Sant
Year 3: Events items
There are no Events items to display