Y5 Weekly Update 17.3.23
Friday 17th March 2023 – Y5 Weekly Update
We’ve had a great week in Year 5! We started our Burwardsley topic in geography – we explored road maps on Monday, then we looked at Ordnance Survey maps today. We had a special guest from Ofsted with us for this lesson and he was incredibly impressed with the children. It’s less than two weeks until we go to Burwardsley where we can use all these geigraphy skills!
In Maths, we have continued to look at decimals – rounding decimals and ordering decimals. In English, we moved on to watching a wonderful animated version of the book, The Promise. We continued to study writing techniques and vocabulary the children can use in their own character driven story.
Year 5 – Pupils’ Highlights:
- We enjoyed the Burwardsley work and we are looking forward to the trip.
- We found writing in Arabic interesting in our RE lesson.
- We are enjoying Mrs Riddell’s D&T rationing topic.
Family discussion questions:
- Can the children tell you the difference between an ‘A’ road and a ‘B’ road?
- Can the children show you how to round decimals to one decimal place, and to the nearest whole number?
Next week, we will continue our Burwardsley topic, looking at grid references. I will send out the kit list one last time next week. Please contact me if you have any queries about the trip.
In maths, we are moving on to look at percentages – converting between fractions/decimals/percentages, and calculating a percentage of a number.
In English, the children will be writing their own character narrative story!
Enjoy the weekend!